RE: hypothetical ? revisited

To: autocross <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: hypothetical ? revisited
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:41:22 -0700
Well, in the San Francisco Region, we have someone award timing slips. I
have NO IDEA how this whole idea got started, but I hear it caught on in
Seattle, so it must be a good idea.

Someone gets the cush job of sitting in a chair past the finish lights (we
have strict safety requirements), and writes each competitor's time down,
plus any pylon penalties, DNF's, whatever as announced over the PA. All
competitors are required to stop to receive their timing slips, usually
post-it notes. The only downside is, I STILL keep finding these nasty
buggers, even when I swear I've got my car cleaned out. Anyway, the beauty
is, not only is the competitor slowed down to a safe speed after the finish,
he or she can then look at this piece of paper and say, "What? I DNF'ed? How
could this be?" Or, if it's a good time, he or she can walk around the grid
and gloat, maybe tape the slip to his or her shirt, casually hinting to
others to take a looksee. Or, if the time is questionable, he or she can go
back to the timing trailer.

This also helps in instances when, perhaps, there was a mix up in the
trailer, like when the wrong time gets put on the wrong card. Or say the
time recorder MISSES the time. The announcer can say, "Will so and so come
to the trailer with your timing slip?"

Of course, we in the SFR SELDOM make such mistakes. That's because I've been
banished from the trailer. But on those rare occurances, and they DO happen,
it certainly is nice to have a back-up. And I can see, in Mr. Bultemeier's
case, something like this would have saved him some later frustration.

Anyway, my dad says that if people find out this is how it's done in SFR,
then there's NO WAY anyone would think this is a good idea. People might
think if they adopt this idea, they'll suddenly wear more pink, and, God
forbid, vote democratic. Or woe the day this happens at Nationals. It's bad
enough that they line the course. Anyway, I'd like to tell you none of this
could happen, that your lives as known are completely safe, but I fear you
won't believe me. Which is why I'm going to tell you I think this was
originated somewhere in Nebraska. Some guy came out from Nebraska with this
great idea, and we adapted it.

Long live Nebraska!

Over and out.

Katie Kelly
(one quarter Nebraskan, one quarter Minnesotan, one of my parents is NOT a
native Californian, and I grew up near farm land with real cows)