Re: Left foot braking

To: "Engstrom" <engstrom@onramp.net>,
Subject: Re: Left foot braking
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 14:12:46 -0400
>1) How many of you that have a choice left foot brake (AM, CM, FM - I
>guess you HAVE to) ?

I do not - force of habit, more than anything else.  I was known to hold the
brake with my left foot while using my right on the gas just before takeoff
in an automatic, but that obviously doesn't apply to a real car. :)
However, after your explanation, I think it's at least worth a try.

>2) What kind of cars do you drive?

The automatic I spoke of was a '95 Mercury Tracer.  I can see how it would
help there - simultaneous gas and brake (while wearing parts out like crazy)
would keep the front wheels rolling while the back comes closer to lockup,
breaking it loose and reducing understeer.  My current weapon of choice is
an '83 BMW 320i.  It's well balanced and not too powerful, so I really don't
know how much it would help.

>3) For those of you who left foot brake, is it common to use a little
braking
>with the left foot to control speed in the middle and end of a turn?

I'll let you know after I try it. :)  Seriously, though, I'd prefer to use
the gas, steer with the throttle a bit.

>4) For those of you who left foot brake, is it common to use both brake and
>throttle modulation in a slalom?

There's not enough of a turn to steer with the throttle in a slalom, but to
me gentle throttle changes seem to be the best way to keep your speed smooth
and provide maximum cornering capability.  In theory.  I haven't tried it
myself.  I could be wrong, and as usual YMMV from car to car (Scotty's Vette
could do a slalom under full braking thanks to his ABS!) :)

    - Justin