Re: Left foot braking

To: Engstrom <engstrom@onramp.net>,
Subject: Re: Left foot braking
From: whitney <whitneys@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 14:44:13 -0700
>1) How many of you that have a choice left foot brake (AM, CM, FM - I
>guess you HAVE to) ?
>2) What kind of cars do you drive?

Yes, I too am an LFB'r, in the following cars: DSP accord, ES Escort GT, BS
miata, GS Talon, DP crx, CSP miata  etc.

>3) For those of you who left foot brake, is it common to use a little braking
>with the left foot to control speed in the middle and end of a turn?

Yes, it makes for a quick and gentle spped adjustment, without as much
attitude change (read oversteer) as a throttle lift alone might produce.
This gives you two tools to use, one which just decelerates, and one which
will also adjust under/oversteer.

>4) For those of you who left foot brake, is it common to use both brake and
>throttle modulation in a slalom?

Yes, in fact, that is where it shines, as you can squirt the gas and dab
the brakes with such rapidity, that the slaloms feel much better.
You still do the same basic things, you just shorten the time lag in
between the pedals.

Note, the better the car is setup, with minimal push and easily throttle
steered, the less helpful (in terms of time) LFB'ing seems to be.  But
stock cars generally respond very well to it to help mask their handling
shortcomings.

Have fun with the new tool :)
Stan