RE: Left foot braking

To: "'Engstrom'" <engstrom@onramp.net>,
Subject: RE: Left foot braking
From: "Stevens, Kevin" <kstevens@ventritex.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 12:16:36 -0700
>So, my questions are:

>1) How many of you that have a choice left foot brake (AM, CM, FM - I
>guess you HAVE to) ?

Yah.

>2) What kind of cars do you drive?

Current, '99 Corvette, SS; prior, '89 Corvette, SS; '94 Camaro, ESP.

>3) For those of you who left foot brake, is it common to use a little
braking
>with the left foot to control speed in the middle and end of a turn?

Not for me.  My goal in LFB is NOT to be actively applying throttle and
brake at the same time, it's to make the transition smoother and faster.
I'm always coming off the gas when I apply the brake.  I can think of one
exception to this in the last three years - a course where my '89 Corvette
was in a turn with an extensive increasing radius.  It would just push very
very  slightly, creeping to the outside.  I applied just a hair of brake
while still at full throttle for an instant to tuck the nose in no more than
a foot to squeak by the last cone.  Let me emphasize that this was a unique
circumstance in a Corvette.

I've heard other LFBers in FWD say they do this more commonly.

>4) For those of you who left foot brake, is it common to use both brake and
>throttle modulation in a slalom?

If you mean am I alternately on the gas and brake in a slalom, yes.  If you
mean am I applying both at once, as above, no.

KeS