Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 10:15:19 -0400
Jeff Blankenship writes:

<<<Sorry if this sounds irate, but the resemblance isn't even close.
I'm not
attacking you personally when I say this, Stan, because you wrote what a
lot
of other people are thinking, too.  But if the collective "you" were up
on
the ACR, "you'd" know the only thing you can't get on any other neon are
the
slotted struts for camber adjustability, and the thicker front hub
flange
(useless weight in AX, but necessary for road racing), and the 130 mph
speed
limiter (up from 118 mph, a big advantage in Solo, I'm sure).  You'd
still
need to do 90% of what the ZX2 S/R gets to the ACR before you'd have
something other than a stock parts on an ACR.  The myth of the ACR being
SP car must die!  <- (there, I promised I would sound irate.)>>>

Ok, you can attack me personally if you want because I simply don't
care. Here is my take on the whole mess:

The SCCA blew apart SS when they incorrectly classed the Neon ACR in
SSC. End of story. This 'trunk kit' nonsense was a half-assed attempt to
rebalance the classes. SS is now dead. Long live SS.

The SEB then turned around and blew apart DS by placing the Neon ACR in
that class. Coincidence or what?

The chief difference between Stock and SP is the ability to change the
springs (and swaybars on both ends of the car). In my opinion, it
doesn't matter a bit if this is done by the manufacturer or by the end
user. The effect is the same.

Nomex on.

Paul Foster