Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: Michael King <mapco@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 11:50:52 +0000
Paul Foster wrote:

> Eric Linnhoff wrote:
> >
> > >The SCCA blew apart SS when they incorrectly classed the Neon ACR
> in
> > >SSC. End of story. This 'trunk kit' nonsense was a half-assed
> attempt
> > >rebalance the classes. SS is now dead. Long live SS.
> > ========================
> > Only the SOHC ACR was/is classed in SSC, the DOHC Neons were/are
> classed
> > in SSB.  There is a definite top end advantage with the DOHC cars
> over
> > the SOHC cars hence the two different classes.
>
> I believe the DOHC version came out later. They couldn't very well
> screw
> all the SSC Neons now, could they? So, for a while Chrysler was given
> _two_ classes to dominate...
>
> > TOTAL HORSEPUCKEY if you ask me!!!  SCREW  the other
> manufacturers!!!  I
> > say let 'em continue to lose races if they don't care enough to make
> > better (race)car like Chrysler did/does.
>
> You used the expression '(race)car' 3 times when describing an
> ostensibly stock car. I rest my case...
>
> Paul Foster

   Please rest this one. The Neon was appropriately classed when it was
classed, whether or not everyone likes it. The only reason people don't
like it is they are getting beat by a Neon. The Neon can be beat on
certain days by either a BMW 318ti/is or a 200SX SER. The only problem
with that is they don't have the attraction of a very healthy
contingency program. Chrysler has earned the right to dominate the
classes in which that little Neon runs. When's the last time you saw a
hospitality tent along with free luch and breakfast from a car company
at Nationals? Only one I know about is for the Neon pilots. Now, why run
any other car in DS when you know you can win in it and win lots of
money doing it? Duh, it's a no-brainer. That's why the car looks like it
dominates and makes alot of people look at this whole deal as a setup.
The Neon ACR IS NOT a tricked out Cobra R or Integra Type R. Anyone who
thinks it is, is blind. I am in total agreeance with Eric L. on this
one. Kill the trunk kits!!! It's ruining SS. BTW, I do consider my Neon
a "race" car. What do you consider you car when you autocross it? Hmm?

Mike King
97 ACR Coupe-DS
Former 95 ACR Sedan-SSC
98 Eclipse GSX-soon to be GS