Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: Jason Bowles <jbowles@carol.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:56:21 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Paul Foster wrote:
> The SCCA blew apart SS when they incorrectly classed the Neon ACR in
> SSC. End of story. This 'trunk kit' nonsense was a half-assed attempt to
> rebalance the classes. SS is now dead. Long live SS.

I cant say anything about the above as I dont know much about SS. Is there
a SSA?

> The SEB then turned around and blew apart DS by placing the Neon ACR in
> that class. Coincidence or what?

I thought the SEB classed the car according to its performance in
comparison to the other cars. I still see BMW's and CRX's beat Neons, but
why spend 20k+ to beat a 13k car? And all that nice contingency money DC
pays out. Maybe if honda and BMW did the same more people would drive
those cars eh?

> The chief difference between Stock and SP is the ability to change the
> springs (and swaybars on both ends of the car). In my opinion, it
> doesn't matter a bit if this is done by the manufacturer or by the end
> user. The effect is the same.

If your trying to say the difference between an ACR and other neons are
swaybars and springs then 95-96 Sport Coupe's are ACR's and so are 98-99
R/T's then ACR's. Only difference between an ACR and those neons are
thicker hub flanges for road racing, and for one year (97) the sloted
Koni's. I can get as much neg camber out of a 95-96 SC or 98-99 R/T as a
97-99 ACR can from slotted Koni's, crash bolts.

The ACR isnt a race package like the Cobra R with no rear seat or the Type
R with 40 more HP and strut tower braces and whole new suspension stuff.
The ACR is a neon with factory Koni's (which you can get anyway in Stock)
and some better hubs so you dont have to replace them every race. Its just
a cost effective little car.

Jason
96 Dodge Neon SC

          Jason Bowles <jbowles@carol.net> <pagejason@carol.net>
           Carolina Online Technical Support Assistant Manager
            Carolina Online Home Page   http://www.carol.net
              Carolina Online Inc.      (864)375-0600 x301
                   "A Full Service Internet Provider"