Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:56:56 -0500
>The SCCA blew apart SS when they incorrectly classed the Neon ACR in
>SSC. End of story. This 'trunk kit' nonsense was a half-assed attempt
>rebalance the classes. SS is now dead. Long live SS.
========================
Only the SOHC ACR was/is classed in SSC, the DOHC Neons were/are classed
in SSB.  There is a definite top end advantage with the DOHC cars over
the SOHC cars hence the two different classes.

>The chief difference between Stock and SP is the ability to change the
>springs (and swaybars on both ends of the car). In my opinion, it
>doesn't matter a bit if this is done by the manufacturer or by the end
>user. The effect is the same.
============================
The ACR's wear the exact same rear spring rates as every other Neon out
there, 120 pounds/inch.  Ooh, bestill my heart.  Only the front springs
are different with a 150 lb/in rate instead of the "normal" 140 lb/in
rate.  WOW, a lot of difference there buddy.

As to swaybars, lots of Neons have the bigger swaybars including the
readily available "Sport" (Dodge) and "Expresso" (Plymouth) Neons
including my Dodge R/T Neon.  In my opinion it absolutely DOES make a
difference if the change is made by the manufacturer as opposed to the
end user.  It shows that the factory is serious about making a good
(race)car and has gone to the trouble of investing much R&D time and
money into making a better (race)car.  Which consequently is sold
through retail dealers all across the nation with the EXACT SAME list of
go-fast goodies to anyone (well, after the first year's ACRs were sold
only to SCCA members) who can sign their name on the financing
paperwork.

What get's my goat is that the SCCA actually allowed the other
manufacturers to install the "trunk kits" instead of making them do the
same R&D as Chrysler did to make a faster car.  Talk about the squeaky
wheel getting all the grease. One most notable exception would be the
Miata R's.  Kudos to Mazda for that car but shame on 'em for the trunk
kitted Protege's.

"WAHHH, those Neons are faster than us.  It's not fair.  We need help
since we obviously can't or don't want to take the time and effort to
make a faster car ourselves.  Give us a trunk kit so we can be
competitive."

TOTAL HORSEPUCKEY if you ask me!!!  SCREW  the other manufacturers!!!  I
say let 'em continue to lose races if they don't care enough to make a
better (race)car like Chrysler did/does.

There, is my opinion on that matter clear enough?

But then again, I don't road race.  I autocross and picked the "wrong"
Neon for that game anyway.  ;^)

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Mustang Sally,
guess you better slow your Mustang down.
"Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett