Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: <posborne@minuteman-ups.com>, "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:13:08 -0500
Paul wrote:

>Phil Osborne wrote:
>>
>> So, where would YOU have classed it Paul?  The original single
cam ACR's
>> were in E Stock, where they were all beaten that year at
Nationals.  The
>> SCCA, very wisely I might add, booted both versions to D Stock
the
>> following year along with the E Stock winner's marque...What's
next, Super
>> Stock?....
>
>Hmmm. Is that true? I thought the Neon dominated since day 1...

Goes to shows how much attention you've been paying....

>But I thought I made myself very clear on where I would put it:
The
>exclusion list.

Bwahahahaha! Yeah, let's all get paranoid about a sub-15k ringer
"ruining" D Stock. Be very afraid, everyone. If we aren't
eternally vigilant, our sport (well, just a couple classes,
actually) may turn out to be dominated by affordable cars that
are available to anybody who wants one. And we can't have that,
now, can we?

I think what Paul is saying is that the cars he likes aren't
winning enough, ergo, in his mind at least, they're being
discriminated against.

> If not that, then I guess I'd let it compete against the
>Miatas in B, or better yet make A Stock an even more interesting
class

Get a grip. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with popularity,
which is the only attribute you've established that the Neons
have. You or I can go buy one, and the odds are very good that we
can afford one. If not, then neither of us should be considering
autox - we'll be needing the grocery money too badly. If they're
winning, so what? Somebody's (and some car's) gotta win....

Jay