Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: dg50@chrysler.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:49:03 -0400
Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net> wrote:

> Eric Linnhoff wrote:

>> TOTAL HORSEPUCKEY if you ask me!!!  SCREW  the other manufacturers!!!  I
>> say let 'em continue to lose races if they don't care enough to make a
>> better (race)car like Chrysler did/does.

> You used the expression '(race)car' 3 times when describing an
> ostensibly stock car. I rest my case...

Why should "stock" and "race" be mutually exclusive, especially when talking
about Showroom Stock racing (or for that matter, Solo Stock)?

Are "Stock" cars not allowed to be fast?

Quick! Hide that Viper, and that Corvette too! Hey you! You can't buy that
Mustang, or that Camaro, or that Talon - it's fast! It might win a race against
slower cars! That's not fair!

For once, I agree with Linnhoff. If someone makes a well designed, cheap, fast
car with an outstanding contingency program that winds up dominating a racing
series, it DESERVES to dominate it. If other people/manufacturers don't like it,
then let the manufacturer step up to the plate and BUILD A BETTER CAR.

The ACR isn't some oddball, limited production,
have-to-be-on-the-inside-to-get-one (*cough* Mustang Cobra R *cough*)
special-order toy, it's something that you can get from any dealer - sometimes
even off the lot. That's something that should be ENCOURAGED, IMNSHO.

DG