Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>, <dg50@chrysler.com>
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:56:17 -0400
>For once, I agree with Linnhoff. If someone makes a well designed, cheap,
fast
>car with an outstanding contingency program that winds up dominating a
racing
>series, it DESERVES to dominate it. If other people/manufacturers don't
like it,
>then let the manufacturer step up to the plate and BUILD A BETTER CAR.

Perhaps Ford is doing so with the ZX-2 S/R that started this whole thread.
Here's hoping it's what it's cracked up to be - everyone will win in the
end.  You may be a little biased toward the Neon considering your
chrysler.com address <grin>, but I'm certainly not slamming the Neon - I've
been considering one too.  I'm just saying that competition will breed
improvement on both sides, since both cars will want to be better than the
other.

>The ACR isn't some oddball, limited production,
>have-to-be-on-the-inside-to-get-one (*cough* Mustang Cobra R *cough*)
>special-order toy, it's something that you can get from any dealer -
sometimes
>even off the lot. That's something that should be ENCOURAGED, IMNSHO.

Absolutely.  Even the S/R is a limited run car - maybe enough to qualify it
in Stock eventually, but I can't just stop by my local Ford dealer, trade in
my Tracer, and drive a ZX-2 S/R off the lot.  With very little trouble I
could get a Neon R/T or ACR that way - at least, if I didn't still have a
loan on the Tracer...!  It would be mighty tempting...

    - Justin