Re: Is ballast legal in stock?

To: "Larry Boardman" <webdoc@javanet.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Is ballast legal in stock?
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:18:12 -0500
>I know in stock you cannot reduce the weight but is it legal to add
>weight?  I am wondering if I can add some secured ballast in the rear
of
>my car for traction.  In my car it would not hamper acceleration as I
>have more than enough power.  The problem is a light rearend.  Just an
>idea.  I've seen a few SP cars with ballast on the passenger side to
>even the weight distribution.
=========================
Well, nothing that I can find in the rule book *requires* you to remove
your spare tire from the trunk/hatch area.  And nothing says that it has
to be filled with air.  It could be filled with lead as I read the rule
book.

You could also run with a full tank of gas.  What's gas weigh guys and
gals?  7 pounds a gallon?  Something like that with a 12 gallon tank
adding about 84 pounds of ballast to the rear of the car.

BTW, I run a full tank in my underpowered Neon.  If I run anything less
than 3/8ths of a tank then my car can get fuel starved in big sweepers.
Of course anything more than 3/8ths of a tank and the moving ballast can
wreak havoc on a delicately balanced car in the corners.  So, I just
said screw it and now run a full tank of gas.

Of course you could always just not press the go-pedal down as hard
either.  ;^)

Just my opinion.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Mustang Sally,
guess you better slow your Mustang down.
"Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett