Re: Is ballast legal in stock?

To: <Smokerbros@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Is ballast legal in stock?
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:37:06 -0500
>You may certainly leave the spare and jack in, as long as they are
firmly
>attached to the car.  Where do you read that you can fill the spare
with
>anything other than air?  Air is the only thing I've ever seen spare
tires
>filled with at the factory, and if it doesn't say you can use something
else
>in the rules, then you can't.
========================
I dunno.  That "if it doesn't say you can, you can't" rule isn't a very
valid one since it doesn't say you can tint your windows, but you can.
It doesn't say you can't have 25 layers of paint to add weight, but you
can.
It doesn't say you can't have 200 pounds of stereo equipment in the
trunk, but you can.  It doesn't say you can't use synthetic power
steering fluid, but you can.
It doesn't say that you can't use a different differential fluid to
alter the lockup and/or slippage characteristics, but you can.
It doesn't say that you can't use Red Line Water Wetter to reduce your
coolant temperatures, but you can.

If you can't already tell, I absolutely hate blanket statements like "if
it doesn't say you can, you can't."  Such statements just aren't always
true.

>John Ames had several runs disqualified at The Nationals once for using
>full sized spare in his FS Mustang.
>
>The rules do, however allow one trailer hitch...
=======================
Yeah, and it could be made out of heavy tungsten metal also.  So can the
allowed tow bar brackets.  And the rules don't say anything about
construction materials either.

Not trying to be an asshole (that comes naturally, right Mike) but there
is plenty of room for interpretation of the written rules.

In my opinion of course.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Mustang Sally,
guess you better slow your Mustang down.
"Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett