Re: Is ballast legal in stock?

To: <Smokerbros@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Is ballast legal in stock?
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:53:12 -0500
>> I dunno.  That "if it doesn't say you can, you can't" rule isn't a
very
>>  valid one since it doesn't say you can tint your windows, but you
can.

>Comfort and convenience.
======================
Ahh, but for argument's sake, show me where it specifically says that I
_can_ tint my windows.  It doesn't, but I can.  So I argue that the "if
it doesn't say you can, you can't" rule is not always valid.

>>  It doesn't say you can't have 25 layers of paint to add weight, but
you
>>  can.
>And added weight, all over the car, is an advantage in what way?  Or
were you
>going to paint it heavier in the rear?
====================
Umm, just heavier in the rear or wherever the extra ballast is needed.
Maybe lots of heavy red metallic paint.

>>  It doesn't say you can't have 200 pounds of stereo equipment in the
>>  trunk, but you can.
>
>Comfort and convenience.
===========================
Again, show me exactly where is says I can do this.  It doesn't, but I
can.

>>  It doesn't say you can't use synthetic power
>>  steering fluid, but you can.
>
>Fluids are free, I believe...
=====================
Sorry, but it's not written in the rule book that way.  The only
reference that I can find to fluids in the Stock Class rules is 13.10.L
(the engine and drivetrain section):

"Any oil or grease, including synthetic, is permitted."

>>  It doesn't say that you can't use a different differential fluid to
>>  alter the lockup and/or slippage characteristics, but you can.
>>  It doesn't say that you can't use Red Line Water Wetter to reduce
your
>>  coolant temperatures, but you can.
>
>Fluids are free.
=======================
I covered that misconception already.  Nowhere in the Stock Class rules
is it written that "fluids are free".  So are they?

>>  If you can't already tell, I absolutely hate blanket statements like
"if
>>  it doesn't say you can, you can't."  Such statements just aren't
always
>>  true.
>No, they are true.  All of your examples are allowed somewhere, except
your
>silly paint example...
==========================
All of the examples I cited are not specifically mentioned anywhere in
the rulebook.  That's why I say that the "if it doesn't say you can, you
can't" rule isn't a very valid rule.

The silly paint example (it was silly though) isn't covered either.
You/they can't spec how many and what type of layers of paint I have on
my car or else no car that has ever been repainted could run in the
Stock classes due to different paint processes and materials.

>>  >The rules do, however allow one trailer hitch...
>>  =======================
>>  Yeah, and it could be made out of heavy tungsten metal also.  So can
the
>>  allowed tow bar brackets.  And the rules don't say anything about
>>  construction materials either.
>
>It does say "may serve no other purpose" so I'd be careful just how
heavy you
>make that hitch...
========================
BIG gray area there.

Of course this is all just for argument's sake but my basic point is
that the "if it doesn't say you can, you can't" rule isn't an absolute.

Whew, this is tiring but sorta fun in a perverse way.  ;^)  Nothing like
a good debate to work the brain.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Mustang Sally,
guess you better slow your Mustang down.
"Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett