Re: Turbo guys get screwed again.

To: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Turbo guys get screwed again.
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:14:35 -0500
>>2.  Effective 1/1/2000, add to 14.10.C: "Turbocharger and supercharger
>>systems may only be updated/backdated with the accompanying engine
unit."

>Where did they come up with this one?  Didn't know it was even a
proposal.
>Kinda silly in the case of the SVO -- the 84 and 85MY cars not only
have an
>inferior turbo, but an inferior motor and boost controls.  Updating the
>turbo only would have given the early models a little something in the
way
>of reliability (water cooled) and perhaps throttle response (smaller
a/r).
>Encouraging an update to the entire motor (used ones are cheaper than
used
>turbos) does all that *and* increases power and torque within SP rules
by as
>much as 50% (bigger cam, bigger everything).
=======================
But it was a very useful mod for the DSM folks.  If I remember this
correctly, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if not, the first gen. turbos
flowed more air in the upper revs but had a little more lag before boost
built up.  The 2nd gen. DSM turbos were smaller and had less boost lag
but also didn't flow as much air in the higher revs so they just
basically pooped out earlier than the motor.

So putting the 1st gen. turbo on the 2nd gen. motors netted more top end
potential and since that's where we prefer to spend most of our
autocrossing time the lower rpm compromises would/could be dealt with by
judicious use of the shifter.

So, once again the turbo guys sorta get screwed.

Thank God I'm not one of 'em.  ;^)

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Mustang Sally,
guess you better slow your Mustang down.
"Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett