Re: Turbo guys get screwed again.

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>, "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turbo guys get screwed again.
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 07:27:57 -0700
Good new/bad news, huh?  BTW, thanks for including the actual rules, for
those of us who don't get FasTrack (and as I recall, the website's only
updated at the end of the issue month).

>The July Fast Track reads as follows:
>
>Solo II Street Prepared category.
>
>1.  The previously published proposal to rescind the exhaust system
>allowances of 14.10.H with regard to turbocharged cars is being
>withdrawn.

Good news indeed, if I want to go back to ESP from CP (find out this
weekend).  I wrote several letters to the SCCA on this topic, but had to
have a "Plan B" if that rule prevailed anyway.  Definitely was not fair that
330hp n/a cars would have still been able to change their entire exhaust
system, and 200hp turbocars and supercars would not.

>2.  Effective 1/1/2000, add to 14.10.C: "Turbocharger and supercharger
>systems may only be updated/backdated with the accompanying engine unit."

Where did they come up with this one?  Didn't know it was even a proposal.
Kinda silly in the case of the SVO -- the 84 and 85MY cars not only have an
inferior turbo, but an inferior motor and boost controls.  Updating the
turbo only would have given the early models a little something in the way
of reliability (water cooled) and perhaps throttle response (smaller a/r).
Encouraging an update to the entire motor (used ones are cheaper than used
turbos) does all that *and* increases power and torque within SP rules by as
much as 50% (bigger cam, bigger everything).

I thought (and I'm still learning how this game is played) that all of such
rules would be printed for member comment first?  Maybe it was, and I missed
it.

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, California, USA

1986 Ford Mustang SVO 1C - 180,000 Miles
Now prepping for CP Autox
Member #001 VirtualTeamSVO (VTSVO)