RE: Turbo guys get screwed again

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Turbo guys get screwed again
From: "Fedja Jeleskovic" <Fedja_Jeleskovic@pictel.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:05:45 -0400

Well, I am digest guy, so I will collect some of the replies and put them
together.

Robert Glover wrote:
>Power isn't so much the issue until you bring in the fact that ESP DSMs
>are ALL WHEEL DRIVE, and they have an INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION to >boot.

Well since you wont to be picky, let see what we get there. AWD also mean that
you have much more drivetrain looses, since you have to move much more stuff
under the car.

IRS will make some differences on the bumpy course only, otherwise it is about
the same.

Now, you guys have much more rim and tire under the car. Let say about 2" extra
than what we can do. Your steering is way faster than any DSM around here. Your
turning radius is also much better. And, you don't have a turbo lag to deal
with! Shell I go more? :)

Robert Glover also wrote:
>Now all of a sudden you can put down all that power without a problem.
>You can't do that in an f-body because of the solid axle.  On top of that,
>a DSM weighs quite a bit LESS than an f-body's average of 3500-3700 lbs.
>So if you have 80 hp less, and weigh 500+ lbs less, AND can put all that

That is also not correct. My car has 3083 lbs, checked this weekend, while
Camaros are around 3400. That is around 300 lbs extra. And we have now about
80-100 HP less with 14B turbo. With T25 turbo, that difference will go to the
200 extra HPs.

Kevin Stevens wrote:
>...and those LS1s lose 1 1/2 car lengths to the AWD cars coming out of every
>slow turn  (about .3 - .4 sec. at the finish line).  Take a snapshot of any
>Pro Solo start if you don't believe it.

That is right. Take a snapshot of the next ProSolo and check it again. We (AWD
guys) can outrun almost any other car of the line. My car makes high 1.7s for
the 60' at the drag strip on the street tires (much slower with the R1s). But
that is when I launch the car from 5000 or 6000 RPMs. And, yes I should have an
advantage off the line.

Coming out from the turns (especially the tight ones) is completely another
story. Being off the boost at the low RPMs (which is where we are after the slow
turn), is the worst thing that can happen to the any turbo car. So, take a look
again how fast those evil DSMs can come out after those turns. I will bet you
that you will change the opinion that you posted up there. And very few cars can
outrun LS1s there. 350+ pounds of torque is just simply too much.

Kevin Stevens also wrote:
>Maybe.  It certainly does matter how you use it.  That's why I object this
>simplistic horsepower argument from the DSM contingent - the cars are
>different enough that it isn't useful to compare HP numbers.  I think the
>turbo car drivers have legitimate beefs about the way they are affected by
>the rules, but comparing HP numbers isn't a reasonable argument.

It is hard to compare apples and oranges, but when you have a 100 HP extra which
is a 1/3 extra from what DSMs have, than it is really not so difficult. Also
check the power and torque curve, and you will see even more difference there.
Peak HP @ 6000+ RPMs vs. 100 more HP almost everywhere. Torque, no I don't even
need to go there.

MR. DSM
95 AWD with 14B