Re: Turbo guys get screwed again

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turbo guys get screwed again
From: "Fedja Jeleskovic" <Fedja_Jeleskovic@pictel.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:40:02 -0400

GH Sharp wrote:
>there was absolutely nothing to prevent someone with a Camaro, M3,or
>whatever in SP to add a turbo to their car.  After all, if I can change the
>turbo on a DSM car because it's part of the exhaust system and that is
>an unrestricted area of the SP rules, by the same logic I should be able
>to_add_a turbo to any car I want.

No, this is not quite right here. DSMs where not allowed to swap the turbo
because it was a free part. It was a backdated from the previous car the same
way you would swap the brakes from 92+ AWD DSM to 90-91 AWD DSM in order to get
two piston calipers for your car.

You can not modified brakes (cross drill them or put a bigger ones or other
things you can do to them), but swap is legal according to SP rules. It is the
same thing with the turbo. You can not port one or put larger compressor wheel
in there, but you could have swapped it from the previous car.

So, Camaros or M3s can not add turbo on their car since there was no turbo there
to start with. Where they would tap for the oil supply/return line? How about
cooling that hot thing? No, according the rules from this year you where not
able to add turbo to the N/A car of any kind.

And, there are other turbo cars with different generations in between. This only
cars that could do that swap are DSM cars. No one so far did mention any other
car that can legally do that. And it is not because they did not look for it.

Also, this rule was checked by several members last year and we all got
confirmation that this is legal thing to do. People sold their stock turbos and
bought new ones. I personally had to cat my lower IC rubber pipe to fit new IC
piping from the new turbo. New hose that I would need to use is $145 for
example. It takes almost the whole day to do the swap as well (that is how long
it took most of us to do it first time).

It is just not right to change that rule just like that after few years without
even making it as proposal prior that.

Mr. DSM
95 AWD with 14B