Re: Turbo guys get screwed again

To: dg50@chrysler.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turbo guys get screwed again
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:58:04 -0400
At 01:04 PM 6/16/99 -0400, dg50@chrysler.com wrote:

>Yup. When you compare your times with Andy B. and a few others I know, the
>differential is higher on Day 1 than on Day 2. It suggests on "off day".

I was a little out of it, but not much by the end.

>> But, not really.  Let me start by saying Fedja drove extremely well!
(Insert
>> plug for McKamey school here, Mark Daddio and I instucted him about 3 week
>prior)
>
>No kidding. He suprised the hell out of me at the Virginia Pro.
>You guys oughta put him on a poster or something. :)

I'll tell Kinser that one....

>> Sooooo, having driven Fedja's car and my own, I have a little insight.
>
>Ah, good. Experimental evidence.

There is a footnote here.....  I didn't drive it as hard as I would've
driven mine, as we are there to teach, not abuse cars and generally look
like hacks!

>> Lag isn't as big a problem as everyone likes to think.
>
>Overall, I agree with you. It's there, but it's not that bad with a fairly
small
>turbo like the T25 or the 14b. When it _is_ there though, it can be really
>nasty.

True, but that can be said for about anything on any car.  When mine's
loose under power, It's REALLY loose.  Ask anyone watching at the Tour.
Priebe could barely breathe he was laughing so hard!!!!

>But keep in mind the car you were driving was a Super Evil Nasty Overdog
Spawn
>of Satan ***backdated 14b turbo car***. This is the configuration that the
SEB
>winds up banning with the proposed new rule.

I still don't like turbo swaps, but whatever.....  I think the SEB is
looking at ways to limit boost.  Problem being you guys *could* claim
whatever you want from boost creep, and there isn't much anyone can do to
prove or disprove all that boost didn't come from illegal means.

As for the DSM/F-body thing, sure, you are down ponies, but also down
weigh, and width, and traction.  And it seems to me the car autoxes better
than anyone ever thought (just like it does in GS).

>My opinion of this configuration is that it's still an underdog on power, but
>much less so than the T25 car, and that the car has enough other
attributes to
>more-or-less make up the difference.

I suppose, but the whole turbo swap thing bugs me.

>Your opinion (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the car may be competitive
with
>or slightly better than your car (a 3rd gen F-body, in case anyone lives
under a
>rock and doesn't recognise Sam) depending on course layout.

That about sums it up.

>That sounds to me like a good match, possably as good a match as you can get
>between such dissimilar cars. It certainly doesn't sound like a car that
needs
>legislation to slow it down.

Except the f-bodies have been around since dirt was invented.  DSM's will
go faster and faster (everything else has).  We, meaning the pony-cars, are
not going to find some magic since the cars have been raced by so many for
so long.

>Now on some days, the DSM won't be laggy there, and will beat the F-Body. On
>others, the DSM is laggy (or just plain old underpowered) and the F-Body is
>hooking, and will beat the DSM. That's just racing.

An AWD car will always hook, we hardly ever do.

>I'm getting tired of this. Not because of you Sam, you've been a voice of
>reason.

There is a sentence I thought I'd never see, at least not with my name in it!

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
800-729-1831
814-849-3417 (tech.)