Re: ST @ Nationals

To: Kevin Stevens <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: ST @ Nationals
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:58:25 -0400
Kevin Stevens wrote:

> > > False. Haven't seen a hint of chunking on RE71s, MXX3 GTs, AVSis,
> > > A520s, SP8000s, P7000s, and Potenza S02s on Street Touring cars ranging
> > > from my 1980 lb Civic to a pair of big, fat, late-model Maximas. Street
> > > tires have come a long way.
> >
> >Wasn't that an ad campaign for Virginia Slims?
> >
> >If your street tires aren't chunking you have a) shaved them, or b) are
> >not driving hard enough.
>
> It always amazes me how people who don't DO something always have an opinion
> about it.  Paul, you're wrong.  W-R-O-N-G.  Wrong.  Go repeat it to yourself
> a bunch of times.  You can feel however you want about street tires; I don't
> care, but don't go spreading misinformation.
>
> Who am I to talk?  1998 SFR Street Tire class champion.  Ask Jean Kinser if
> I drive hard enough.  You're wrong.

Hi Kevin,

Hmmm... What kind of tire? SP8000s again? Maybe these tires are immune
due to their tread pattern. There are a lot of variables here. But IN
GENERAL you cannot expect full tread depth street tires to not chunk if
you really push them hard. Barry Goldine told us this at the SFR Solo II
drivers school in '88. CHD was there. Ask him. Last time I saw it happen
was to a rental car at the year-end MNY PCA slugfest a couple years ago.
IN GENERAL if you don't shave tires you can chunk the tread due to heat
buildup. You can even do this to Kumhos although I admit I have only
seen it happen at the track.

Regarding misinformation, get over it. It is no big deal. I have been
wrong before and I certainly shall be shown to be wrong again. Maybe
even multiple times in one day. So what?

Paul Foster