Re: ST @ Nationals

Subject: Re: ST @ Nationals
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:05:11 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Paul Foster wrote:
> Hmmm... What kind of tire? SP8000s again? Maybe these tires are immune
> due to their tread pattern. There are a lot of variables here. But IN
> GENERAL you cannot expect full tread depth street tires to not chunk if
> you really push them hard. Barry Goldine told us this at the SFR Solo II
> drivers school in '88. CHD was there. Ask him. Last time I saw it happen
> was to a rental car at the year-end MNY PCA slugfest a couple years ago.
> IN GENERAL if you don't shave tires you can chunk the tread due to heat
> buildup. You can even do this to Kumhos although I admit I have only
> seen it happen at the track.

I think the neato hidden point is that the "right" street tires don't
chunk and perform ok.  Which is exactly the same as DOT Race tires, except
that they don't come in as many sizes, are often more expensive, and trade
off a bit more grip for a bit more life.

None of that is attractive to me, but I guess others like it, so whatever.

Mark