Re: ST @ Nationals

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ST @ Nationals
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:04:25 -0500

Paul Foster wrote:

> Give me 3 runs with your car. Or give it to the fastest Stock class
> driver in your region.  If the tires have at least half the original
> tread depth I'd be willing to bet they will chunk. Road racing has
> nothing to do with it...

Give me 3 runs with any car that has G-Forces or Hoosiers on it and I
can trash them as well.  There is an element of common sense required
regardless of your tire choice.  If you try to autox on a Performance
street tire as if it were an R-tire, yeah, it will probably chunk.  If
you try to autox on all-season tires as if they were... made of
rubber... they'll probably chunk.

I guess the question is, would you, in the process of chunking a set of
good street tires, turn better times than the driver who gently drove
those tires at or near their limits?  I'm thinking not.  Just like
R-tires, good street rubber does not respond well to being overdriven.

My OE Firehawks chunked (even with 20k miles of street "break-in").
They were all-season tires and I was a novice.  None of the Pirelli
(P700Z or P-Zero), Potenza (RE71) or Yokohama (AVS) tires I've used have
chunked.

If anyone's keeping count, here's another vote:

I'm not really eager to attend nationals at this point because I would
see no competition in my "CSP" car on street tires and I have no desire
to purchase a set of R-tires at this time.  However, I'd be much more
inclined to attend nationals if a street tire class were offered.  I
just happen to have street tires on the car, and I enjoy competing
against similarly prepared cars.

How much participation is required before the SCCA decides it's worth
doing?  How can they determine what the level of interest will be before
they've tried it?  Basing it on National level Solo competition is
pretty inaccurate.  I'd guess that a lot more of the street tire crowd
would be more inclined to attend one National Championship event in a
year than a whole series of National Tours or Pros.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca