karts

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: karts
From: "The Christianson's" <chrstson@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:44:39 -0500
Byron sez:
> Kart costs are exceedingly inexpensive in Solo.  My tire budget, running
> the softest gumballs known to man, was about $600 for the entire year
> last year.  In my 99 Miata I've already purchased 4 sets of tires at
> $600 per set this year.  And it's time to buy tires again...

There are certainly cheaper ways for people to get into our sport and have
a great deal of fun.  To start with a shifter kart is not a cheap thing
(Note I did not use the term car)  One good example would be an older solo
vee.  You can probably buy a reliable one for 2,500 that could be
competitive locally and provide big fun for the driver.  They are also
light enough that you can stretch tires a long ways and hold that cost
down.  (and you can buy a serious pile of tires for the difference in
purchase price. )

Another thing I don't understand about Karts, is why on earth is the SEB
going to allow them to be DRIVEN between grid and impound.  This is against
every saftey rule put out on the karts and just plain goes beyond any sort
of common sense.   To most of the tow rigs that are driving around the
nationals site a cart is similar to bug, both in visibility and in what the
driver will feel when running over one.  I just don't get it.  Why put an
event with 900 competitors at risk for the convenience of 12 people.  Put
all of the carts on one flat trailer in the grid and consider that the
beginning of impound for them.

 Remeber real cars have more than on cylinder and don't mix oil and gas on
purpose.

Jeff Christianson
#65 EM