Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:11:01 -0400
Randy Chase wrote:
> I personally think it should be part of the goal of any region to help
> every driver to improve, whether this is a novice or someone trying to
> win nationally. It may not be the end-all and main goal, but it should
> be one of the missions.

It's a critical goal for any volunteer club who wants fresh blood
involved in the behind-the-scenes organization.  You've got to hook new
drivers, and you hook 'em by helping them get the feeling of
satisfaction that comes from getting better.

The first goal is to attract new members.  The second goal is to retain
them, and that's done best by driver training, in my experience.

That's not necessarily the same thing as fostering national champions,
but it's not a huge leap.  In order to keep people from burning out and
leaving, they need to keep getting better -- and so you need programs
in place to help them do that beyond the intermediate level.

Mark