Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 18:19:48 -0700
Brian M Kennedy wrote:
-snip-
> Ideally, you'd catch a ride with one or two of those jocks -- that can teach
> you a ton.  Or possibly better, you'd get one or two jocks to drive you in
> your own car... that'll really show you how much faster you can be in certain
> spots.
-snip-

Very much agree, both having a fast passenger and letting someone faster
than you drive your car (he/she may be able to also point out things
about yoru car)....can help you tremendously.

> THE QUESTIONS:
> Do any regions have a solution to this?
> Do any regions organize the events to make it _possible_ for drivers to ride
> with jocks?
> What mechanisms would you suggest to help coordinate such "educational"
> rides and drives??

-snip

I think we have a good solution in San Diego, that I am sure some other
regions also do. At the end of the day, time willing, we open the course
up for "fun runs". The club charges a buck or so a run, so it's cheap,
but can help the club out.

It's also more informal and we often see people looking like
streetwalkers with helmets in hand ("hey there....want a good time?") as
they walk the pregrid, looking for that $1 ride. I would guess most 2+
seater cars in fun-runs have a passenger. It is an opportunity to say
"hey, should I try this on this line" and then go try. No points or
trophy, just fun and learning.

Randy Chase
San Diego Region