Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: msirota@isc.upenn.edu, mattm@optonline.net
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: Hottvr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:57:29 EDT
This is just my "new guy" attitude showing through a little. For me I wanted
to start
in a class that was difficult enough that I couldn't win easily. I'm the type
that has
to have a constant challenge or things get boring. I choose CM because I
loved the way the cars looked and because they looked like a real handfull to
drive. The way i
got this whole deal figured is that if you want to run at the top of a class.
Then you
have to run against the top of the class. Theres nothing more fun than going
to an event thinking "Todays gonna be the day" that I beat one of those "pro
jocks".
Mark I understand what you are saying. But I think we should encorage new
guys to run against the best and see how they stack up. Get them to go out of
town to the "Big Events"  Maybe a National Tour event or a Divisional or the
Nats once a year. Nothing will put the hook in them faster. My first Auto-x
was a National Tour in Topeka Kansas in 1997 driving a F-125 rental. At the
time I was too stupid to know
that this was a big deal. Three weeks later I owned a Formula Ford! Now thats
hooked.

Mike B. TLS#1

That's not necessarily the same thing as fostering national champions,
but it's not a huge leap.  In order to keep people from burning out and
leaving, they need to keep getting better -- and so you need programs
in place to help them do that beyond the intermediate level.

Mark