RE: Revised STU Proposed Rules - Plan of attack

To: autox@autox.team.net, werace4u@aol.com
Subject: RE: Revised STU Proposed Rules - Plan of attack
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:21:58 -0400

(sent to team.net as well)

> But a couple of thoughts:

> A. Do you think that it would hurt the "all inclusive" theme to not allow
> convertibles?

When I think "convertible" I tend to think "Miata" - as in "superlight little
fast rotating beastie". Not something that should be allowed in STU.

I'm concerned that convertible versions of STU-eligible cars would/could be much
lighter (and with a roll bar just as stiff, or at least "stiff enough").

Perhaps this is mistaken, so I'll throw it out for discussion? Should we allow
4-seat convertibles in STU?

> B. I think that the engine swap wording is a little vague. Does Acura and
> Honda count as the same make? What about a Yugo with a Fiat engine - can
> they use any Fiat engine? What about grey market engines? I'm thinking that >
a Mazda RX2 or RX3 with a Cosmo triple rotor would be a hot car!

The way I would answer is this (comments welcome):

1) Yes, Honda and Acura are the same, because the motor in the Acura is
identified as a Honda motor on the actual castings.
2) If the Yugo came with a factory Fiat motor, then yes, any Fiat motor under
3.1L displacement is a potential candidate.
3) Grey market motors (of the same make as the chassis) are OK too, although the
comment about rotories raises another issue - are rotories the same,
displacement wise, as piston motors? Do we need a different displacement limit
for rotory motors?

> D. Eventually, folks are going to want sub-classes. What is the evolution
> plan for that? There will be cars that evolve to be faster, whether via more
> availability of parts or more favorable swapping.

At this time, I don't think STU should be sub-classed - ever. The formula is so
open-ended that pretty well any car that's not a complete pig should be able to
compete if enough $$ and development time was thrown at it.

However, I think there's room for at least one _sister_ class - Street Sports
Unlimited (for 2 seaters like CRXen, Miatae, and MR-2s) However, I'll only tilt
at one windmill at a time. :)

Again, comments welcome.

DG