Re: Revised STU Proposed Rules - Plan of attack

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Revised STU Proposed Rules - Plan of attack
From: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:23:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> STU.0 VEHICLE ELIGIBILITY
>
>        All four-plus passenger, front engine, hard top, production-based
> sedans/coupes with engine displacements equal to or
>        less than 3.1 litres are eligible for Street Touring Unlimited.

I don't know how many are being raced, but 4-passenger convertibles are
pretty popular in many areas.  Just within the DSM world, you have the
Eclipse spyder -- do you want to exclude these?  I wouldn't worry about
factory convertibles being lighter due to the loss of the roof - in many
cases, the additional chassis structure to make up for loss of the roof
makes up the weight (and then some).

I'm not so sure about home-made chop tops (although I saw a picture of a
neat 1st-gen Prelude conversion recently), but I'd expect that most of the
same inhibitors would apply -- in order to make the chassis stiff enough
to go around corners, the builder would add back any weight saved by
chopping the top.

> STU.1 AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS
>
>        C. All vehicles must be equipped with the following items:
>           10.Licence Plate
>
>        Dennis' Note: The original STU rules wording required that the vehicle
> both be registered for the street, and have passed an
>        emissions test. However, State/Province licencing requirements and
> emissions requirements vary, and range from no
>        requirements (Kentucky) to vastly stringent requirements (California).
>As
>  such, the SCCA cannot maintain a level playing field
>        without explicitly specifying the equipment that must be on the car in
> order for it to be "street legal".

Rather than specify a license plate, just specify current registration --
which I believe is what you're really after.  Otherwise, it's meaningless.
I have a collection of old plates that would satisfy the rule as written
-- but I doubt anyone would appreciate my showing up with a 1940
California tag.

This doesn't solve the emissions variability, but nothing will (for now).
Really dedicated folks on the West Coast will find friends, relatives, or
Team.Net members in Kentucky to register their cars with anyhow.... :)

> STU.10 ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN
>
>            2.Engine swaps must be of the same make as the car chassis, or of a
> make available from the factory in the chassis
>               in the case of joint venture produced car.

How about just from the same corporate family?  This would allow Fieros
with Chevy 350s, Bugeye Sprites with Rover V8s and such.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr