Re: RE:annual tech inspection

To: "Mari Clements" <mlc4@psu.edu>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RE:annual tech inspection
From: "Jim Hedderick" <jhedderick@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:44:13 -0500
I suppose the data varies with everyone's experience. I work tech at about
25 events a year. We occasionally find someone who tries to deliberately
sneak one by. (One guy this year who said his hubcaps would not come off was
found to be missing 5 lugnuts.) These folks become well known quickly and
for the most part are NOT regular competitors.

One of the non-SCCA clubs seems to on the right track. If you are trained on
how to do proper tech inspection, at each event you can sign a form at
registration next to your printed name certifying that your have teched the
vehicle yourself and avoid the line. Get caught on a spot check and you
loose the privilege. With documentation that the cars have been checked by
trained individuals, insurance issues are likely avoided.

A problem with this system for SCCA events might be that some SCCA members
do not maintain their cars like most PCA or BMWCCA members do. I would not
ride down to the corner in some of the cars that show up at our events, let
alone in competition. As a result, we are all stuck living with a system
designed for the bottom 2%.

Jim Hedderick
Houston, Texas