re: Yoko Nexus

To: Paul Czarnecki <oblique@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: re: Yoko Nexus
From: Dave Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:11:50 -0400 (EDT)
Paul Czarnecki wrote...
> I'm thinking of getting Yoko Nexus for my Subaru Legacy GT.  In my size,
> the are comparably priced to the Yoko AVS-I and 509, and much cheaper
> than most other "Maximum Performance" tires (using TireRack's
> nomenclature).
>
> How are they on the street?  Rain?  How are they on the autox circuit.
> I sometimes drive the Legacy in ST.

   I have the Nexuses on our 240SX, in the same 205/55/16 size you are
looking at ( for the same reasons you're talking about. )  Also have AVS-i
on the other car, but no direct comparison.

   The Nexuses have tons of grip on dry pavement, so much so that they
track grooves and other pavement irregularities noticably.  They are
almost as good as the AVS-i in the rain, in my experience, which is
limited to full tread Nexus, only a few thousand miles old.

   Unless this is just a result of the different cars, I would have to say
the AVS-i has much better feel, and is easier to drive fast.  I have,
unfortunately, not yet autocrossed on the Nexuses, but I think they would
work great on a smooth, dry lot.

> $94 ea for 205/55ZR16 sounds pretty good, anything else I should look
> at? I want a value, not performance at all costs tire.

   I don't think you can beat the value of the Tire Rack's price for the
Nexus, but it appears to be a closeout deal, so if you're going to need a
replacement, you may be SOL soon.

   The AVS-i is easier, and more pleasant to drive on, although
potentially not as fast, and for roughly the same money, I would go that
way if I were doing it again.

   ( There must be a reason the Tire Rack is selling the Nexus for less
than the AVS-i.  I hope I don't find it with this set. )

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 scscc, nma, scca, imoc