Re: SW Divisional #3 in Mineral Wells

To: "\"\\"\\\"'\\\\"Jay Mitchell\\\\" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>'\\\"
Subject: Re: SW Divisional #3 in Mineral Wells
From: Engstrom <engstrom@onramp.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:06:31 -0500
Jay Mitchell wrote:

>Tommy Regan wrote:
>
>>I've been watching the list and haven't seen anyone mention the SW Div.
>>#3 (Conemelt '99) from this past weekend in Mineral Well, TX. Well, I
>>just want to give credit where credit is due to the people in the Texas
>>Region that put on an awesome event.
>>
>>I'd especially like to recognize DonaLeigh Engstrom (SSL) and Su Brude
>>(SS) for doing a great job organizing the whole shabang!
>
>Ditto. Equally impressive were John Engstrom's efforts. He had
>spent Wednesday night in the hospital with food poisoning, and he
>was by no means fully recovered on Friday. He said he was better
>Saturday morning, but he still looked kinda green to me. Anyway,
>not only did John run T&S practically singlehandedly, from
>training the newcomers in the trailer to operating the computer,

Hey, you know I'm not going to let you get away with giving me too
much credit! ;-)  What Jay isn't mentioning is the two heats HE worked
computer in the trailer (that's two heats on both days, not 1 heat per day)
in addition to being a co-worker chief and handling those responsibilities.
Come to mention it, Steve Snyder - the other worker chief - also worked
two heats in the trailer in addition to the worker chief responsibilities.  I
guess what I'm trying to say is it was a true team effort.  Everybody involved
with the event went above and beyond their normal responsibilities to put
on a great event!

>he put together a set of runs that trophied him in SS. Not too
>shabby.

(Trying to tie together another recent team.net thread) I owe it all to Byron
Short and his fabulous Geez product.  Heck, if Geez can get through my
stubborn skull and make me a better driver, there's no telling what can be
accomplished with it - an end to world hunger; bringing about lasting peace
in the middle east; a grand unification theory; heck, it might even be able
to give Linnhoff social skills and impeccable taste...well, that might be
stretching
it a bit. ;-)

>>course which included three
>>optional slaloms and the preferred method of taking each one was
>>debatable.  Nothing was obvious.
>
>I'll say. I almost got the hang on Saturday, but I apparently was
>in the weeds, mentally speaking, on Sunday. It was a really fun
>course, though, and it didn't particularly favor any type of car.
>
>Jay

Great course, great organization, great food, great competition - what more
could you want.  For all those who didn't attend this year - mark it on your
calendar for next year.  I'd love to see a new attendance record next year!

John "No, not that one" Engstrom