RE: DC gets tired of SCCA

To: "'Phil Ethier'" <pethier@isd.net>, Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>,
Subject: RE: DC gets tired of SCCA
From: Phil Osborne <posborne@minuteman-ups.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:21:08 -0500
So, maybe someone can explain to me what is so wrong with this
picture...The Neon has been dominant when driven by great drivers in money
paying events, but it has also been dominant by not so great drivers who
never attend a National or Divisional event.  Every class (or nearly so)
has a perceived dominant car that soloists and racers buy because they
think that is the car to have.  The fact that contingency money is on the
table at National and Divisional events certainly attracts some hot shoes,
but I don't think that was the dominant driving force behind the numbers of
ACRs competing in Solo 2/Club Racing events.  It is simply the car to have,
and you can have it at an affordable price.  Rather than beating up on DC
for providing an affordable, competitive car, then sweetening the pot with
contingency money, why not encourage other car makers to come up with the
same package, and a few bucks for the masses in grass roots racing.  Trunk
kits were simply a bad idea in lieu of building a better mouse trap...

Phil Osborne
>I still wonder if we would have quite so many Neons flooding
>the autox scene if Chrysler hadn't offered up all of that money in
>contingency.

Of course not.

>I think that was a big element in attracting alot of
>hotshoes to the Peon^H^H^H err... Neon that is... :-)

Of course.

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/