Re: Topeka Hotels

To: "Thomas Harrington" <tomh@lvcm.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Topeka Hotels
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 01:17:42 -0500
From: Thomas Harrington

>Hi All.  One quick question.  I'm looking for a "cheap" place to stay in
>Topeka for the duration of the Pro and Championship.  I found a
>Travelodge for <$40/night.  Here is my question.  Does anyone know where
>this place is?  When ever I find a cheap hotel, there is usually a
>reason for it being cheap.  This one is at 3846 SW Topeka Blvd.

Not familiar with the TraveLodge there, but that is in the infamous cluster
at the South Topeka exit of the Kansas Turnpike (land of the lost
franchise -- including Holiday, HoJo, Ramada, Park, Motel 6, which have
pulled their franchises from that area). With the possible exception of the
Plaza (ex-Holiday), all those places are dumps that Topeka Nationals
veterans will warn you away from. The Plaza is 3802 SW Topeka Blvd. and the
TraveLodge is 3846. What used to be a Motel 6 and later the Airport Value
Inn was the next door neighbor south of the Plaza, and south of that is a
turnpike interchange so the TraveLodge about has to be the old Airport Value
doesn't it? That was probably the worst of the worst, a place where people
who booked for a week checked out after one night. Maybe  TraveLodge has
fixed it up, but I don't know that.

People are familiar with my recommendation of the Raceway Inn, right there
on the Forbes property, for around $50 a night, maybe less. My friend Dave
Lemon hasn't told me his '99 rate structure for Nationals yet, but it has
always been friendly to the budget-minded. Call him at 800-657-7215.

You can also find nice digs up at the Wanamaker exit off I-470. In the
$60-75 range there's a Comfort Inn, Days Inn (which we've also used and
liked) and a couple others. Ritzier is available also, but that doesn't seem
what you are after.

--Rocky Entriken