Re: non-stock M3 LTW...?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: non-stock M3 LTW...?
From: Jim Carr <jac@scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:49:35 -0400 (EDT)
Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com> wrote:

> Mark "M" Sipe writes:
> }
> }  jblanken@itds.com writes:
> } <<
> }  If it weren't for the "trunk kit" and the extremely low production
> }  volume, the M3 Lightweight would be a Stock class car. >>
> }
> } I think you missed the main point of contention, which is neither the
> } trunk kit or the production numbers; it's the *special order options*
> } which were available to those who could afford them.
>
> You're right, I am missing your point.  Factory options have always been
> special order options available to those who can afford them.  How is that
> a problem?

 It is only a problem if you ignore the existence of the *factory*
 options, because it must be assumed that they could be present when
 that model is homologated -- for the simple reason that the rules
 allow you to start from anything a dealer can deliver from the factory
 for that model.  The reason you were missing Mark's point was you
 were ignoring what the rules say about factory options.

 It happens that factory options on most cars are go-slow luxury
 items that add weight and take away power, but that is not always
 the case.  An identifiable option package can be singled out when
 classing the car, but that would be impossible when there is just
 a list of individual options to choose from (as in the M3 LTW).

 Elsewhere, Justin wrote:
 > And if memory serves (I'm sure someone will be quick to
 > correct me if I'm wrong), doesn't ACR stand for American Club Racing?
 > If that isn't "made for competition," I don't know what is.

 And GT?  GTO?  IROC?

 Sebring ;-)   Doesn't the Protege ES run in ES? !!

 The NASCAR Taurus is "made for competition".  Just try to order
 one of those from your Ford dealer....