Re: non-stock M3 LTW...?

To: TeamZ3@aol.com
Subject: Re: non-stock M3 LTW...?
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:38:35 CDT
Mark "M" Sipe writes:

>  jblanken@itds.com writes:
>
> <<
>  If it weren't for the "trunk kit" and the extremely low production
>  volume, the M3 Lightweight would be a Stock class car. >>
>
> I think you missed the main point of contention, which is neither the trunk
> kit or the production numbers; it's the *special order options* which were
> available to those who could afford them.

You're right, I am missing your point.  Factory options have always been
special order options available to those who can afford them.  How is that
a problem?

Disclaimer: I'm not a BMW expert, and having owned Ms yourself, I'm relying
on your description of how these Lightweights were offered.

The problem I see is that the owner has the choice of which parts from the
standard trunk kit get installed, so you don't have a consistent package
content installed on every car.  Or, maybe thats the beauty of it, you have
all those cool parts to play with.  If everybody gets the same box of
factory parts, why not?

Then there's the low production numbers and high price.  Well, not many
people can afford them, so why should there be a lot of them?

Oh no, I'm starting to think the M3 Lightweight should be a Stock car...
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                         Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                              ITDS - TRIS