Re: non-stock M3 LTW...?

To: Justin Hughes <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Subject: Re: non-stock M3 LTW...?
From: Jason Bowles <jbowles@carol.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 05:49:24 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Justin Hughes wrote:

> > The problem with putting these cars in Stock are that they had special
> > competition suspension options that are Street Prepared oriented;
> adjustable
> > front camber plates, special brake discs, Grupe N adjustable suspension.
> As
> > delivered standard they came with special trunk kits; baffled oil pan and
> > dual oil pump pickup, adjustable rear spoiler, and front subframe
> crossbrace.
> >  Installing trunk kit items automatically voids the warranty.  Engines
> were
> > dyno'd & handpicked from std. assembly line, plus BMW specifically stated
> > that theses vehicles were made for competition.  Aluminum door skins,
> stiffer
> > suspension springs with 1" lower ride height, sound padding removed,
> special
> > seats, and a lower rear gear were also std.
> >
> > Hardly the type of vehicle to be classed in Stock.
>
> Arguably, so is the Neon ACR.  OK, so Dodge doesn't hand pick each engine.
> But they do many of the same things that BMW does to the LTW.  Before the
> Neonites jump in, yes, I'm aware that the Neon R/T has most of the same
> performance upgrades as the ACR.  But the ACR came first, by several years.
> The R/T is basically an ACR without the adjustable Konis and with all the
> comfort items most people require in a daily driver that the ACR eliminates
> for weight savings.  And if memory serves (I'm sure someone will be quick to
> correct me if I'm wrong), doesn't ACR stand for American Club Racing?  If
> that isn't "made for competition," I don't know what is.

I gotta jump in and yes I am a neonite.

the 95 and 96 sport coupe is the same thig as the R/T and the ACR..in fact
the 95-96 ACR's didnt get adjustable koni's just different valving of the
STOCK Arvins. The 95-96's also got different valving. The only difference
in the Sport Coupe is the hubs and minor valving changes in the struts and
of course sports got more options but you could get one optioned the same
as a ACR...no special aluminum doorskins there..no hand picked engines..no
different brakes..

> Thanks for the extensive description of what differentiates an M3 LTW from a
> "normal" M3.  I've been wondering that myself.  Compare that to what
> differentiates a Neon ACR from a Neon Highline or a base model.  Relatively
> speaking, the basic grocery getter Neon gets an even more extensive makeover
> to turn it into the class dominating performer it is than the M3, which is a
> high performance car to begin with in its "basic" form.  So are its non-M

The ACR from base of all base neons would have had swaybars the 95 base of
bases had none..the ACR got Power Steering..the base of bases had
none..the ACR got A/C the base of bases got none..all I see is weight
being added.. later bases got a front swaybar and PS and A/C option..95-96
Sport Coupes got everything the ACR got suspension wise..except different
strut valving yet made by the same company until 97 when Koni came along.

Where as the ACR got 2 maybe 3 if you count PS as a lot of road racers
dont use, suspension mods and the rest creature comforts..where does that
put the lightweight? It looks like almost everything is for racing or
suspension..

If a ACR is so much better than why are the other neons in the same class?
And this year at nationals dont be surprised if DS is won by an R/T with
stock struts (which would be the same that 95-96 Sport Coupes got)...

It wont be won be a ACR with stock Koni's if its won by any ACR..

Jason

> Again, I'm not suggesting that this is right or wrong, or that anything
> needs to be changed.  I don't have much of an opinion on the matter myself,
> mostly because I don't compete against M3s or Neon ACRs. :)  I just find
> this comparison interesting.
>
>     - Justin

          Jason Bowles <jbowles@carol.net> <pagejason@carol.net>
           Carolina Online Technical Support Assistant Manager
            Carolina Online Home Page   http://www.carol.net
              Carolina Online Inc.      (864)375-0600 x301
                   "A Full Service Internet Provider"