Petition to amend SCCA bylaws

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Petition to amend SCCA bylaws
From: "John" <john.mikes@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:14:40 -0700
A petition on a proposed  amendment to the bylaws to stop all of SCCA's Pro
Racing activities is now circulating. I urge all SCCA members to join me in
supporting it.

The amendment would not apply to Enterprises or stop SCCA from sanctioning
or staffing a series. It would, however, end the practice of using club
money to subsidize pro racing series or businesses.

As now operated, SCCA Pro Racing is heavily damaging the club. Last year Pro
lost over $300,000 despite having a title sponsor for it's top series.
According to sources, it appears on the same pace this year. USRRC, which
was born with a $500,000 loan from SCCA, reported a similar $300,000+ loss.
The series now appears dead. If so, the $500,000 of club members' money is
lost forever. There is also word that the SCCA Board of Directors at its May
meeting has made yet another loan to the professional division.

This must stop or SCCA will soon be in serious trouble. We cannot depend
upon our elected national representatives to correct the problem. Indeed,
they have refused to even publicly acknowlege that a problem exists. It is
up to us, the members. Even if it stops tomorrow, however, the mismanagement
that caused the deficit has already resulted in higher fees for amateur
motorsports enthusiasts. It also represents a huge lost opportunity to
better grassroots motorsports: think of how we could've used
$600,000-$800,000 to better our amateur activities.

Please go to my website and read the text of the amendment. If you agree,
please download the petition and circulate it among your friends.
Commitments have been made by SCCA members on both coasts to circulate the
petition at events, but we need as many people as possible. About 1,650
names are needed on the petition to force the BoD to hold a vote on the
amendment.

This is our club. We need to act now to save it from further damage.

John Mikes
john.mikes@worldnet.att.net
http://home.att.net/~john.mikes

SCCA Land O'Lakes Region