Re: Petition to amend SCCA bylaws

To: "Brian M Kennedy" <kennedy@i2.com>, <Mtnman3620@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Petition to amend SCCA bylaws
From: "John" <john.mikes@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:33:55 -0700
> I know in some regions there is a lot of animosity from the Solo2
> folks as they could procure better or even permanent sites if they
> could just use the money they collect from Solo2'ers for Solo2.
> Many of them feel their money is unfairly consumed by club racing
> and other endeavors.

It isn't going to club racing. Club racing is the only SCCA activity to turn
a profit. Club racing made $686,136 last year. Solo as a whole lost $78,222.

> It seems to me that an amendment that demanded minimal mixing of
> funds would be far better than simply an amendment that prohibited
> pro racing.  Afterall, if they can come up with a self-sustaining
> pro racing series, that would be a _good_ thing for all the SCCA.

Yes, it would be a good thing. But they can't do it. The bottom line doesn't
lie.

There is another issue, though. Club racers are always wondering why SCCA
supports only a few series with prize money. Is it fair to, say, the IT gang
that they have no pro series, but spec racer does?
John Mikes
john.mikes@worldnet.att.net
http://home.att.net/~john.mikes

SCCA & Midwest Council racing