Re: ST tire options

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ST tire options
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:12:48 -0500

Craig Blome wrote:

> The idea of a spec tire sounds like the most workable
> of your proposals.

I'd like to see it happen, at the national level, that is.

> BUT...One event and two cars is
> pretty spotty evidence to declare the Pilot SX an
> overdog IMHO.  The Allens and Vince Bly are pretty
> darn good drivers;

They are good drivers, they also are very good at preparing cars, and
have spared little (if any) expense in doing so.  I know the Allen's
have tried all of the "best" tires, and I'm pretty sure Vince has, too.
Their conclusion was that the Pilot SX was the tire to have to win
Nationals. (as a matter of fact, I heard that the Allen's were running a
different tire until Vince started soundly beating them with Pilots)  My
conclusion is, whether that is THE tire or not, it's too expensive and
not available in a wide enough range of sizes.

> I'd say making observations about
> their tires based on their driving is trying to make
> inferences about the population based on statistical
> outliers, eh?  Maybe National Tour and some regional
> results ought to be looked at as well.

National tour results may be relevant.  Regional results would not be.
I won a regional E-Stock trophy with Pirelli's, and often (or at least
occasionally) pull some quite impressive times relative to local drivers
on competition tires, but this means little.

Your point is well taken, however.  Before I "write a letter", I'll
gather up the results from any National level event at which ST was a
populated class and include them in my statistics.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca