Re: Car numbers at Nationals

To: "Mark Sirota" <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car numbers at Nationals
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:57:25 -0500
>There are lots of other examples, particularly of the white/silver and
>the red/black combinations.  DO NOT COME TO NATIONALS NEXT YEAR LIKE
>THIS!  This isn't exactly rocket science, folks.  It's really hard to
>have any sympathy at all.

As someone who runs a silver car with white numbers, I'd have to
question this post.  Is the intent to really have numbers that can be
seen on the other side of the course?  I've helped in timing and scoring
at 4 national level events (tours and pros) and one divisional, and the
only time they HAD to be seen by the folks in the booth was when the
car was coming up to start and taking off on course so they could
properly annotate it.

The numbers on my car can be clearly read from over 50 feet away,
and that's about how far you are from most corner stations.  These
are the folks who need to see your numbers on course, not the folks
in the trailer.  It's nice to see the car WAY over on the other side of
course, but you aren't calling in the cones from the trailer.

I guess I take exception most to the 'get a clue' aspect of the post.
I've never had a complaint about my numbers, and to have someone
tell me to get a clue (which is essentially what was just done since I
run the same combination) is not the most diplomatic way to handle
something like this.

David Hawkins
93 Mr2T EM (white with blue numbers)
93 Mr2T AS (white with blue numbers)
85 Mr2 CSP (silver with white numbers)
86 Cressida HS (light blue with white numbers)