Re: Fehn/Butler hyperloud RX-7

To: "Craig Blome" <cblome@yahoo.com>, "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Subject: Re: Fehn/Butler hyperloud RX-7
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 23:42:41 -0500
Last year some loud car passed by when I was standing with Howard at
Nationals. About the same time one of those jet tankers took off. I
mentioned the car noise to Howard, who replied the standard was "suitable
for the site," implying that when the site is a jetport it is hard to tell
even a hyperloud Mazda is "too loud."

It only illustrates the lunacy of the road racing rule, currently 103 db, at
a place like Heartland Park when the jets take off overhead that are so much
louder, the NASCAR trucks at the same track are MUCH louder, and the NHRA
fuelers at the same track are so loud everyone in the stands needs earplugs.
And SCCA racers whisper past at a polite 103.

The Solo rule is 3.5, which states "adequate mufflers are required" without
defining what constitutes adequate, but giving the event chair license to
make that determination. There is NO db number set out in the solo II rules.

IMHO, solo rule is better than the roadrace rule. If your site owner has a
sound concern, you are free to impose whatever limits are necessary to
placate the neighbors and keep your playground.

--Rocky