Re: Fehn/Butler hyperloud RX-7

To: George Ryan <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Subject: Re: Fehn/Butler hyperloud RX-7
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:39:37 -0500
George Ryan wrote:

> How legal is "hyperloud", I wonder? Used to be there was a number
> attached to the noise levels, but now it at the discretion of the event
> Chairman. Wish they would give us SOME kind of standards to go by!!

Think about that statement for a minute, George.  If "they" were to
give us some kind of standards to go by, that would mean that every
one of the 109 - 110 - or whatever the current number - of regions
would have to go out and buy a sound level meter.  And that meter
would have to meet certain specs, which means it would probably cost
anywhere from $150 on up.  Then each region would have to learn how to
properly use that sound meter and have a designated sound technician
for each event. That might be a drop in the bucket for the larger
regions but what about the rest of us who are struggling just to make
ends meet?  Should we be forced to buy a sound meter, too?

We've had sound complaints filed against some of our local events here
in Shreveport when we run at Caddo Parish Stadium.  There are lots of
homes and businesses nearby and we try our best not to disturb them.
However, when a complaint is filed, we do our best to identify the
offender and get him/her to correct the problem.  If it's not
corrected to our satisfaction, that person gets sent home!

The acceptable noise level really depends on where you run, what the
weather conditions are like on event day, and the approach your region
takes to controlling sound.  I've run events with Peter Fehn for more
years than I care to remember and I'll testify that his car is far too
loud for Caddo Parish Stadium.  But it would be perfectly welcome at
Red River Raceway or the Downtown Airport, since sound levels really
aren't a problem at either of those sites.  You just have to adjust
the sound level for the site you're using.  And, as it now stands,
that adjustment is purely arbitrary and up to the individual region.
And I, for one, like it that way.  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman