Fw: Fehn/Butler hyperloud RX-7

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Fw: Fehn/Butler hyperloud RX-7
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:39:36 -0500
> >I disagree. And I will tell you why  I feel  "Discretionary" is xot
> >a valid rule.
>
> Maybe, but it IS the rule at the moment. If you think it should be
> otherwise, work to change it.

It seems that few others share my concerns - I am not going to
persue it. I will let those that condone pain (and believe in S/M)
have their way.      :-)

> <snip>
> First of all, the action as described is a capricious act by the event
> chair, not a throughtful decision based on existing conditions. And
> like any official action, protestable.

OK, now tell me - in the real world - who do I protest to at a local event
when the event chair tells me to leave the site because I am making too much
noise - at his discretion - ? Let's see, there is the registrar, or maybe
the starter. How about the corner worker at Corner 1?

> You rule on my car just because of YOUR opinion, and most would
> agree that is just wrong.

But how does those that disagree change the mind of the event
chair? They can try to convince him - but if he is firm in his decision
I don't think he can be fired. Or can he? (Remember, this is real world)

> <snip>
> Again, the official's action is protestable, and the Spridget has the
> same right to do so as the Mazda. And if the event is a Tour, you are
> dealing with a higher level of protest responsibility than at a local
event.

> The standards that would prevent it from happening are the protest
> procedures, which in this case are there to protect us all from arbitrary
> and capricious actions such as you envision.

If the event chair at a Tour (or anywhere else)  determined a competitor has
a car making excessive noise - in his opinion - there aren't too many people
that will try to usurp that decision, in my experience. This isn't a formal
protest being handled by a committee (maybe it should be?). This is solely
one of the responsibilities of the event chair, and at his discretion.

Sure, the competitor could lodge a protest with the protest committee,
but are there rules in place that allow the Protest Committee to overrule
an event chair in this case? I can't find any. (Remember, the car in
question IS loud, what is being discussed is how loud is TOO loud?) I doubt
a protest committee would challenge the event chair's discretionary
decision unless he was being biased, and other cars equally noisy are
allowed to compete.

Sure, my Spridget/Mazda example was extreme, but only to get my
point across. Apparantly, you still missed it??

> PS - Who's the Spridget driver in your example? Not me. I drive a
Spitfire.
> :-)

What a tuff crowd!! I can't even make believe without criticism!! :-)