Re: Nationals on Asphalt?

To: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: Nationals on Asphalt?
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:14:00 -0600
Loren Williams wrote:

> I've run on (freshly) sealed asphalt before, I know how slippery it is.
> It wouldn't be my first choice of surfaces by a long shot. (I'd even
> rather run on... CONCRETE!)  But it is different and challenging.  The
> course we ran on said freshly sealed asphalt wouldn't have been so bad,
> but this site is very small, so you have no option but to have a tight
> course.  A wide, loose course on slick asphalt would be entertaining.

        And would likely add more distance to obstacles. What would you rather
though? Drive all season on a good surface than have to get more
accustomed to really grippy concrete? Or get used to a slick track?

> The rain on Tuesday annoyed most of us who had to run in it mainly
> because it was inconsistent.  Had it been consistently wet throughout
> our runs, most of us would have been happy. (at least in my class)  What
> REALLY sucked during our heat was that the first run was sorta wet, the
> second was drying out, and the last run... the one that counts the most
> for us drivers that suck... was totally wet.  CSP had it good, started
> out wet and dried out with each run.

        Yeah, but even the SS drivers, who had it dry weren't as enthusiastic
as I would have expected at Nationals. The wet really did seem to put a
damper on a lot of people.

> Not being able to put power down doesn't make it no fun, it makes it
> more of a challenge.  Is it easier or harder to drive an autocross in
> the rain?  I rest my case.

        Oh no doubt it's more of a challenge. But how many people do you have
attending a rain event vs. those attending a dry event? I'll wager that
while most of them stay home because they don't want to stand out in the
rain, a good number of them don't want to go because driving won't be as fun.

        No don't get me wrong, I have a ball on slipery stuff. I go ice racing
in the winter (now THAT'S slippery), and I too have driven sealed
surfaces. Wet and dry. In the dry, it's slippery, and really requires
discipline. In the wet, yikes! I'd rather be on wet concrete ANY day
than on wet sealed asphalt.

> >         But when you travel 1000+ miles to drive on an ice rink, it kinda
> > sucks. Good asphalt, sure. I like it alot. But sealed asphalt? If it
> > meant a long road trip, I think I'd pass.
>
> Can't really comment on this one.  I don't think I'd drive 1,000 miles
> for an autocross. (I don't particularly like driving as little as a
> hundred miles, maybe if I were single or had a family that was more into
> the sport I would feel differently)  If I ever drove that far for
> Nationals or similar, it would have to be for more than just the
> competition. (which I'm sure is the case for most of the folks who drive
> that far and farther)

        That's just it tough. For nationals, there are a great many people who
drive 1000 or more miles, spend a significant amount of money for hotel,
food and other stuff. And are looking forward to the biggest autox event
of the year. I think a goodly number of 'em would be grumbling really
loudly if they were running on sealed asphalt. Certainly some folks will
always whine about something. And alot will complain about running on
asphalt no matter what kind. But make it really slipery, and it would
certainly draw a huge amount of flak.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/