Re: Nationals on Asphalt?

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals on Asphalt?
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 11:17:33 -0500

Joshua Hadler wrote:

> > Our typical entry for an event lately is around 70 or so.  At McConnell
> > AFB ("Nationals quality" concrete) we tend to draw more from surrounding
> > areas, perhaps 80-90.  Let me go check our rain date, we had an
> > EXTREMELY wet event there this spring.  Okay, the official results from
> > our April 25th Solo at McConnell show 81 entries.  Does that answer your
> > question?
>
>         Not really. A single data point does is not sufficient. Gosh, it's
> amazing what one can with statistics with a "well chosen typical exapmle".

That is typical for my region.  Most of us show up and run, even in the
rain.  I wasn't aiming to pick a "well-chosen typical example", that was
just the most recent rain event (other than Nationals) that I had access
to data from.

If I'm wrong, and my region is extremely atypical about the number of
folks who are willing to run in the rain, show me.  Show me an example
of an event that was run in the rain that "most people" didn't show up
at.

>         And those people definately showed their stuff in Topeka this year.

They certainly did!

> Some really exceptional rain drivers. But make sealed asphalt wet, and
> it's a whole different ball game. It really is more like ice racing. And
> that is a different technique altogether.

Is requiring a different technique inherently "bad"?

>         And that's where this thread started. I think we've come full circle.
> Thank you, please drive thru...

Damn, I knew I should have stopped to ask directions.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca