Re: Nationals on Asphalt?

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals on Asphalt?
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 09:40:40 -0500

Joshua Hadler wrote:

>         And would likely add more distance to obstacles. What would you rather
> though? Drive all season on a good surface than have to get more
> accustomed to really grippy concrete? Or get used to a slick track?

I'd rather do both, different surfaces and conditions add to the
challenge of autocrossing.  Running on the same surface is akin to
running the same course. (please don't anyone run with that tangent, I
KNOW it's different)  It's too predictable.

>         Yeah, but even the SS drivers, who had it dry weren't as enthusiastic
> as I would have expected at Nationals. The wet really did seem to put a
> damper on a lot of people.

The dreariness of Tuesday's weather ALL DAY was probably enough to bring
anyone down.  It being the first day of competition, those who travelled
half-way across the country for it may have been thinking that it was
going to be like that all week... definitely a depressing thought.

>         Oh no doubt it's more of a challenge. But how many people do you have
> attending a rain event vs. those attending a dry event? I'll wager that
> while most of them stay home because they don't want to stand out in the
> rain, a good number of them don't want to go because driving won't be as fun.

Our typical entry for an event lately is around 70 or so.  At McConnell
AFB ("Nationals quality" concrete) we tend to draw more from surrounding
areas, perhaps 80-90.  Let me go check our rain date, we had an
EXTREMELY wet event there this spring.  Okay, the official results from
our April 25th Solo at McConnell show 81 entries.  Does that answer your
question?

People weren't real happy about working course in the rain, but it was a
big and wide open course (would have been quite fast in the dry) and was
a BLAST to drive in the rain.  <Wichita people who were there... now
would be a good time to comment>

>         No don't get me wrong, I have a ball on slipery stuff. I go ice racing
> in the winter (now THAT'S slippery), and I too have driven sealed
> surfaces. Wet and dry. In the dry, it's slippery, and really requires
> discipline. In the wet, yikes! I'd rather be on wet concrete ANY day
> than on wet sealed asphalt.

I think you hit it.  Discipline is exactly the skill you have to hone to
be successful autocrossing on a slippery surface.  The folks who think
they have to be flat-out and on the ragged edge at all times (while this
technique may be what it takes to win on smooth, dry concrete) and don't
know how to back off don't seem to do as well.

>         That's just it tough. For nationals, there are a great many people who
> drive 1000 or more miles, spend a significant amount of money for hotel,
> food and other stuff. And are looking forward to the biggest autox event
> of the year. I think a goodly number of 'em would be grumbling really
> loudly if they were running on sealed asphalt. Certainly some folks will
> always whine about something. And alot will complain about running on
> asphalt no matter what kind. But make it really slipery, and it would
> certainly draw a huge amount of flak.

For Nationals, one course on "good" asphalt and one on concrete would be
fun.  You are correct, sealed asphalt would probably be frowned upon by
many.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca