Re: Nationals on Asphalt?

To: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: Nationals on Asphalt?
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 10:17:32 -0600
Loren Williams wrote:

> >         Oh no doubt it's more of a challenge. But how many people do you
>have
> > attending a rain event vs. those attending a dry event? I'll wager that
> > while most of them stay home because they don't want to stand out in the
> > rain, a good number of them don't want to go because driving won't be as
>fun.
>
> Our typical entry for an event lately is around 70 or so.  At McConnell
> AFB ("Nationals quality" concrete) we tend to draw more from surrounding
> areas, perhaps 80-90.  Let me go check our rain date, we had an
> EXTREMELY wet event there this spring.  Okay, the official results from
> our April 25th Solo at McConnell show 81 entries.  Does that answer your
> question?

        Not really. A single data point does is not sufficient. Gosh, it's
amazing what one can with statistics with a "well chosen typical exapmle".

> I think you hit it.  Discipline is exactly the skill you have to hone to
> be successful autocrossing on a slippery surface.  The folks who think
> they have to be flat-out and on the ragged edge at all times (while this
> technique may be what it takes to win on smooth, dry concrete) and don't
> know how to back off don't seem to do as well.

        And those people definately showed their stuff in Topeka this year.
Some really exceptional rain drivers. But make sealed asphalt wet, and
it's a whole different ball game. It really is more like ice racing. And
that is a different technique altogether.

> For Nationals, one course on "good" asphalt and one on concrete would be
> fun.  You are correct, sealed asphalt would probably be frowned upon by
> many.

        And that's where this thread started. I think we've come full circle.
Thank you, please drive thru...

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/