Re: Nationals on Asphalt?

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals on Asphalt?
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:34:39 -0500

Colan Arnold wrote:

> As to running on the blacktop at Topeka, even if the airport would let us,
> I don't think we would really want to. Yes, it is smooth. But, it has been
> seal coated with a tar/sand mixture. It would be really slick.

Wusses, the lot of you! <better put a smiley here for the sarcasm
impaired>  :)

As long as the course is designed with sufficient runoff room at every
corner (so you don't wipe out half the course if/when you get sideways),
and the course is not unreasonably tight, running on slick sealed
asphalt is not a problem.  Why are so many people so afraid of slick
surfaces?  (my theory?  they're too accustomed to their R-tires and
mondo grip and can't accept braking a little earlier or cornering with a
little less force)  A slick surface is just another opportunity to learn
something new about your car.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca