Re: Nationals on Asphalt

To: Autox <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals on Asphalt
From: Debbi Eley <debbi.eley@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 99 11:31:30 Central Daylight Time
>In a message dated 9/25/99 8:48:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>debbi.eley@gte.net writes:
>
><< Mike writes:
> >I ran Tuesday/Wednesday for what that's worth. Why what difference does
>that
> >make?????
>
>Debbi Writes:
> I was just curious if you, like Loren were fortunate enough to run on
>Thurs/Friday when it was warm and dry.
> If you ran Tues/Wed do you feel that your performance was enhanced by the
>wet conditions?
>
>Mike Writes:
>I ran in the first heat on tuesday and the rain really hadn't set in yet.
>There was some
>moisture on the ground but no standing water. The answer from me is it didn't
>rain
>enough, quick enough to help me. I have always felt that heavy rain throws
>something into the equation that upsets the natural order. In C-Mod where
>most of
>the cars are open wheel Formula Fords with a few full bodied Sports 2000's
>thrown in this is particularly true.
>  If you are asking do I like to run in the rain the answer is no! If you are
>asking me
>do I think I have a better chance against a Nationals class field in the rain
>the answer is yes.
>
>Debbi Writes:
>  And I will agree with Loren that the best drivers will always come out on
>top regardless of weather.

Could we at least be accurate.  There wasn't a period after weather as you
indicated.  I will repeat my
statement for the sake of accuracy.
" I will agree with Loren that the best drivers will always come out on top
regardless of weather, IF all things
are equal.  But how often are all things equal, except for maybe DS."
Equal meaning, track conditions, rain tire availability, etc.

>Mike Writes:
>Se above Paragraph for correct answer!

Not sure how the correction affects your answer, but I'm sure you will let me
know.

>Debbi Writes:
>fail to see why this should have made me less disappointed with Tuesdays
>conditions.  I have been rained on at Nationals 6 out of the past 10 years. I
>didn't like it then and I will not like it next year if it happen again.
>
>Mike Writes:
>Debbi, This is the Midwest it rains here in September a lot!!!!!!  If its
>rained on you 6 out of the last 10 Nats you should have a lot of experience
>at driving in the rain. If
>thats the case how is it that you finished 5 out of 8 in ASL? Just a question
>I couldn't
>help asking.

Glad you ask.  When I mailed my Nationals entry form on the last day of the
deadline, I had never driven
Mark's car. My fifth place finish in ASL was 2.2 seconds behind Marchell
Fletcher who drove very well both
days.  Even though I had the 2nd fastest time on Wednesday(dry conditions)
behind Marchell, I couldn't
make up the deficit from the wet conditions the day before. Would rain tires
have helped on Tuesday?  Don't
know, but I would like to think that they would have since all but one of the
cars in front of me on Tuesday
had treaded tires.  Before you ask, Hoosier didn't have a Dirt Stocker in our
size. Am I disappointed in my
finishing position, not really.  Third to fifth was separated by .14 seconds
which is close competition in a
ladies classes.  Finishing less than 2/10ths out of the last trophy position in
a car that I had driven twice, I
don't think I did too badly.  I have always driven prepared cars and the Z3 was
completely different. Did I
expect to win, hardly, but that's OK as I can always pull out one of my other
'National Champion' jackets to
wear till next year.

I could ask you about your finishing position, but I already know so I won't.
Don't figure you want that on
the list. I'm glad you feel the rain helped you, but were the 2 out of 3 DNF's
under wet or dry conditions? I
couldn't help asking.
Debbi