Re: Nationals on Asphalt

To: Autox <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals on Asphalt
From: Debbi Eley <debbi.eley@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 99 22:36:07 Central Daylight Time
Mike writes:
>I ran Tuesday/Wednesday for what that's worth. Why what difference does that
>make?????
I was just curious if you, like Loren were fortunate enough to run on
Thurs/Friday when it was warm and dry.
If you ran Tues/Wed do you feel that your performance was enhanced by the wet
conditions?  Lorens
 I really didn't see many
competitors faces on Tuesday that reflected that belief.  And I will agree with
Loren that the best drivers will
always come out on top regardless of weather, IF all things are equal. But how
often are all things equal,
except for maybe DS.  I have often heard people say that rain is the great
equalizer.  Don't ask the guys in
AS who were forced to sit and watch conditions deteriorate halfway through
their first run group.  In
response to your previous post, no it didn't just rain on my car and I fail to
see why this should have made me
less disappointed with Tuesdays conditions.  I have been rained on at Nationals
6 out of the past 10 years. I
didn't like it then and I will not like it next year if it happen again.  We
were fortunate enough to have a small
run group so that we all had about the same track conditions, but I can assure
you that none of us were
elated.

>I have known Loren for the couple of years I've been around and consider
>him a friend. I did read his post of 9/24. So maybe the guy has other
>commitments
>that have to be addressed. Or maybe he can't afford the expense of long
>distance
>travel. I don't know.

His post did not come across as someone not interested in traveling because of
other commitments. I think
the quote was:
"Can't really comment on this one.  I don't think I'd drive 1,000 miles for an
autocross. ( I don't particularly
like driving as little as a hundred miles....."

What would Nationals be if the rest of us felt that way.... er.. I think that's
called a local event.

> But to say that someone isn't a hardcore because they
>don't make long road trips I feel is unfair.

For guys who seems to have some pretty strong opinions and don't mind sharing
them, it certainly doesn't
take long to get you into a tailspin when someone else has one.

>I'm sure that there are a bunch
>of people on this list from Wichita that will tell you that Loren does a lot
>to make things "Go" down there.

Now that I'm glad to hear!  I was afraid Loren might be suffering from 'Monica
Lewinsky Syndrome'... all lip
service and no action.  Keep up the good work, Loren.

Debbi